( ENSPIRE Fashion ) Christie’s Hosted a Reception to Celebrate The Collection of André Leon Talley
Christie’s hosted a private cocktail reception to celebrate the upcoming auction of The Collection of André Leon Talley on February 9th. As the first Black man to hold the title of Creative Director of American Vogue, Mr. Talley built a rarefied status in the fashion industry. His passion for beauty and glamour, combined with his astute intelligence, led him to amass an extensive collection of luxurious pieces, including haute couture, handbags, jewelry, and art pieces.
The collection will be offered on behalf of Mr. Talley’s estate for the benefit causes he supported in his lifetime, including the Abyssinian Baptist Church in New York and Mount Sinai Baptist Church in North Carolina. The collection, which will be on view at Christie’s through February 14, is infused with Mr. Talley’s intellectual curiosity, reflecting his decades-long relationships with iconic designers, including many lots that were gifts from Karl Lagerfeld, Ralph Rucci, Miuccia Prada, and more.
Guests included Lindsay Peoples, Bonnie Brennan, Deidrea Miller, Vera Wang, Nicky Hilton Rothschild, Zac Posen, Bob Colacello, Mickalene Thomas, Hannah Bronfman, Elaine Welteroth, Aoki Lee Simmons, Jon Gray, Maxwell Osborne, Vikki Tobak, Kingsley Gbadegesin, Derek Blasberg, Mark Guiducci, Chrissy Rutherford, Gabby Prescod, Danielle Prescod, Elena Velez, Sandrine Charles, Recho Omondi, TK Wonder, Candace Marie Stewart, Robert Verdi, Igee Okafor, Olivia Joan Galli and more.
The evening featured a performance by the Abyssinian Baptist Church of the City of New York. Lindsay Peoples made welcoming remarks for the evening, Editor-in-Chief of The Cut and Co-founder of Black in Fashion Council, as well as Deidrea Miller, Head of Christie’s Communications, Bonnie Brennan, President of Christie’s Americas, and Alexis Thomas, Executor of the Estate of André Leon Talley.
- Founded in 1766, Christie’s is a world-leading art and luxury business. Renowned and trusted for its expert live and online auctions and bespoke private sales, Christie’s offers its clients a complete portfolio of global services, including art appraisal, art financing, international real estate, and education. Christie’s has a physical presence in 46 countries, throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, and Asia Pacific, with flagship international sales hubs in New York, London, Hong Kong, Paris, and Geneva. It also is the only international auction house authorized to hold sales in mainland China (Shanghai).
- Christie’s auctions span over 80 art and luxury categories, at price points ranging from $200 to over $100 million. Christie’s has sold 8 of the 10 most important single-owner collections in history, including the Paul G. Allen Collection—the most valuable collection ever offered at auction (November 2022). In recent years, Christie’s also achieved the world record price for an artwork at auction (Leonardo da Vinci’s Salvator Mundi, 2017), for a 20th century artwork (Andy Warhol’s Shot Sage Blue Marilyn, 2022) and for a work by a living artist (Jeff Koons’ Rabbit, 2019). Christie’s Private Sales offers a seamless service for buying and selling art, jewelry, and watches outside of the auction calendar, working only with Christie’s specialists at a client’s individual pace.
- Following the groundbreaking 2021 sale of the first digital art NFT ever offered by a global auction house (Beeple’s Everydays), Christie’s recently launched the first fully on-chain auction platform dedicated to exceptional NFT art. As an industry leader in digital innovation, Christie’s also continues to pioneer new technologies that are redefining the business of art, including the use of hologram technology to tour life-size 3D objects around the world, and the creation of viewing and bidding experiences that integrate augmented reality, global livestreaming, buy-now channels, and hybrid sales formats.
- Christie’s is dedicated to advancing responsible culture throughout its business and communities worldwide, including achieving sustainability through net zero carbon emissions by 2030, and actively using its platform in the art world to amplify under-represented voices and support positive change.
- Browse, bid, discover, and join us for the best of art and luxury at: www.christies.com or by downloading Christie’s apps.
Related Articles: Introducing Fashion Designer Malik McIntyre, Harlem Fashion Week Brings Cultural Explosions